So – I went to my very favourite eatery today with my mum. It’s a lovely vegan/vegetarian cafe in Lincoln called Cafe Shanti and is run by Lincs2Nepal.
The food there is sublime and (most importantly for me at the moment) their soup is VERY well blended! 😉
I went, fully expecting to just have my usual soup (with soaked bread) and maybe some ice-cream after BUT Mum was convinced I could manage cake (with ice-cream) so I rose gallantly to the challenge!
Turns out that vegan caramel cake with ice-cream goes down surprisingly well! The ice-cream is an absolute necessity as it helps the cake crumbs to go down your throat easier – honestly THAT’S the real reason to have ice-cream too! 😉
So – cake (as long as it’s accompanied by ice-cream) is achievable! This brace-wearing malarkey is looking up!
So – it’s day 8. Apparently (according to the lovely letter I had from Lincoln Orthodontic Centre this morning) the worst is over. Hmmmm. Guess it depends where you sit on the issue of eating. Every day for me is a new revelation and today I would like to share with you the foods/drinks that are best eaten in private or in public!
- Soup (as long as it’s smooth and has no discernible ‘bits’ in it)
- Jacket potato with hummus
- Yogurt (seriously – hurrah for yogurts, they’re the winners of all brace wearing eaters!)
- Ice-cream (if on a cone remember to lick it because you sure can’t bite into it – yeowch!)
- Carton drinks (huzzah for straws!)
- Oranges (you think you’re getting away with it then you wind up with pith and skins wrapped round the back of your braces and it’s difficult to ram your hand in your mouth to dislodge it while maintaining your dignity!)
- Soup with ‘bits’ in – especially green bits!
- N’kd bars (or other softer cereal bars) – they take a bit of working round your mouth and you may end up looking like a masticating mastiff!
I’m sure this will become a far more comprehensive list as time goes on. I’ll keep you updated with new additions to each list as and when I discover them.
**Additional** If you want to ‘pep’ up your soups crumble up some falafel into them. It soaks up, goes nice and soggy and doesn’t get stuck round your teeth! Yay!